7.15.2013

The Lincoln Highway (and when waiting doesn’t pay off)



The Lincoln Highway historic route of Mount Vernon Road, just west of Mount Vernon, on Wednesday, July 10, 2013. (Liz Martin/The Gazette-KCRG)
The 2013 Lincoln Highway Centennial tour, by a group of mostly Norwegian owners of classic American cars, passed through Cedar Rapids today. I know the route through Lisbon, Mount Vernon and into Cedar Rapids very well, as it’s one of my favorite roads in the area for boh driving and biking. After a few passes back and forth, I decided on the scene above as the perfect place. I just had to wait for one of the 77 classic cars to drive through the scene.
And talk with some friendly county sheriff’s deputies who stopped make sure I was alright.
And wait.
And work on the next day’s photo staff schedule.
And wait.
And then I found out there had been an accident the day prior, so many of the cars were delayed, and likely staying on Highway 30 rather than following this particular part of the historic highway. Sometimes, all the planning and waiting just doesn’t pay off.


No comments:

Post a Comment